Families and Healthcare in Thailand

This blog has been created for students participating in the 2014 University of Minnesota learning abroad course Families and Healthcare in Thailand. Students will share their stories and what they are learning as we travel to Chiang Mai, Chiangrai, and Bangkok.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

The "beginning of a traveling girl" by Casey Churchill

We leave tonight. I cannot put into words on how these past 3 weeks have changed my life. The experiences, the laughs, the joy we all have shared to the new friends who have turned into the best of friends, have all made this an amazing experience. It has opened my eyes to know that there is so much more in this world than what I am used to in the state of Minnesota. Through my narrow minded eyes, I thought what we had in Minnesota was the best of the best, and that I would never move away from there. But there is so many people to meet, so many stories to be told and to be heard, and there are many cultures that we need to be experience before we can say we have lived. To fully live means to get out there, experience new things and not sit in the one city your used to; that one place that is familiar to you. Now am I saying that I am going to move away to Thailand or another country? No, because as I have stated before family is everything and I don't think I could live 7000 miles away from them. But what I am saying is that this is the beginning of a traveling girl. I am going to live my life to the fullest when I arrive back in the states. I am going to step outside of my comfort zone and after that, I will know that I have lived a full life. And a great life at that :)

1 comment:

  1. I've seen a quote by an English writer named Bruce Chatwin, who said that "wandering re-establishes the original harmony between man and the universe". I love the idea of traveling as a necessary part of being in harmony at home and in the world. Thanks so much for your blog posts and for sharing your travels, everyone!

    ReplyDelete