Families and Healthcare in Thailand

This blog has been created for students participating in the 2014 University of Minnesota learning abroad course Families and Healthcare in Thailand. Students will share their stories and what they are learning as we travel to Chiang Mai, Chiangrai, and Bangkok.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Reflections Since Returning Home

So it has been a week since we have returned from Thailand and it honestly almost feels like we never even went there-- kind of like a surreal feeling. Reading back through my journal I cannot believe all that we had done in those three weeks. From all of the different hospitals that we had visited to riding an elephant and zip-lining through the rainforest to the hill tribes we visited. All of the experiences made me learn something and opened my eyes to new things or made me see something in a new light.

It was a little bit of a struggle for me adjusting my sleep schedule back. It took me about four days till I was back on my regular sleep schedule and actually able to function during the day. Those first four days all I wanted to do was sleep and lay in bed, but I forced myself to follow my set schedule of school and work, which I believe helped kick this jet lag.

When people ask me how the trip went, I find myself stumbling to answer that question and all I can seem to get out is "it was amazing." It's extremely hard to summarize everything that we did into one word, or even one sentence. I found it was easier to explain our trip once I was able to rely on the pictures that I took, but I found it difficult to describe all the feelings that came with that experience. I'm in the process of working a scrapbook dedicated for this trip and I plan to put everything in this book-- pictures I took (some that I stole from others, my journals and blog posts, and some memorable items / brochures that I picked up during the trip). I'm hoping to be done with this by the end of the semester, but we'll see how that fits into my schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment