Families and Healthcare in Thailand

This blog has been created for students participating in the 2014 University of Minnesota learning abroad course Families and Healthcare in Thailand. Students will share their stories and what they are learning as we travel to Chiang Mai, Chiangrai, and Bangkok.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Thai Massage

I am quite familiar with alternative medicine such as chiropractic, acupuncture, massage, and several other types due to the many sport injuries I have had and the healing has worked for me very well. However, I recently had the privilage to get a famous Thai Massage and let me say it is in a whole other league compared to what I have had before. I was able to get a full body massage for 30 minutes and my massage therapist just so happened to know every spot on my body that needed to be worked on. At times it was a little painful, but after it was worth it. It was so relaxing! I am not sure what makes a Thai Massage so different, but whatever it is it works!

Aside from alternative medicine, we were able to go to Bumrungrad International Hospital and look at western medicine here in Bangkok. This hospital was literally one like I have never seen before. It looks and feels like a hotel that was decorated by Ikea. That is one aspect that it prides itself on is the fact that it makes patients feel comfortable and not like they are at a hospital. The rooms are beautiful! They look like they could be a small apartment with a kitchen, living area, and even two bathrooms. And the cost of one of these rooms is nearly half of what the cost is in the U.S. Everything that is needed for healthcare is all right there, it is a one stop shop. One aspect that I though was really interesting was the amount of patients they get from all over the world. This is not only becsause the service and care is one of the best in the world, but also because the cost is so low. In addition to the cost, the way things are run in the healthcare system makes sense. The cost of care, the rate at which things are done, and the whole system in general is simple, but yet so efficient. In my experience with hospitals back in the U.S. things can get pretty complicated and take days to get results. For example, dealing with insureence companies can be quite the process, but here they are more worried about the patient rather than the payer. I think the U.S. should take some pointers from Thailand!

No comments:

Post a Comment