Families and Healthcare in Thailand

This blog has been created for students participating in the 2014 University of Minnesota learning abroad course Families and Healthcare in Thailand. Students will share their stories and what they are learning as we travel to Chiang Mai, Chiangrai, and Bangkok.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Chiang Rai

Even though every part of this trip has been amazing and I have been learning so much, the past couple of days will be ones that stick out in my mind forever. In Chiang Rai, we went to a hill tribe where they were still celebrating the new year with a funraiser and they kindly opened their hearts to show us around and give us a feel for their culture. When we were on the tour of the village, I found myself really reflecting on my own life. These people live so simply and are so happy with what they have that it truly makes me appreciate the things I have in my life. However, throughout my life I have been to taught to count my blessings, live each day to the fullest, and be humble for what I have, but it just is not the same compared to the way this village is living. After the tour, they served us a traditional meal involving the whole village. There was music, dancing, and good fellowship among the whol village. I am really appreciative of this experience and words can hardly express my feelings.

The next day we had the opportunity to spend the day with students from Chiang Rai University. This was also an expereince that I will never forget. The students showed us around their campus and we really got a feel of what it was like to be a student in Chiang Rai. That evening the university put on a great dinner for us to help us again get a feeling of traditional Thai culuture. I really get a feeling for how sincere and kind the people are here and it makes me want to be a better person. Thais are so genuine and hospitible and their attutude toward life is really like one that I have never experienced before. After dinner, we took part in the tradidtional lighting of the lanterns. This we so breath taking! The sky was lit up with many beautiful laterns signifying that we were getting rid of all the bad, welcoming the good into our lives, and taking in the experiences and friendships that were made during the day. Again words can only do so much, but the memories will last forever.

My time in Chiang Rai was unbelieveable and will always be remembered. I took many pictures of both experiences but they will not quite do justice. We have now reached Bankok and I have every intention of finishing this trip with a bang!

No comments:

Post a Comment