Families and Healthcare in Thailand

This blog has been created for students participating in the 2014 University of Minnesota learning abroad course Families and Healthcare in Thailand. Students will share their stories and what they are learning as we travel to Chiang Mai, Chiangrai, and Bangkok.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Post by Ginny Anderson

Today is our last full day in Thailand. I have many bitter sweet feelings as we pack to leave this place; I feel like we just got here. In our time here, we have done so much and I have come to LOVE this country more than I would have ever expected. It is so different from anything that I have ever experienced, and I know it will be difficult to explain to those who have not traveled here before. If I could give any advice to future students traveling to Thailand though, I would stress three main things. Before coming, I think that it is important to get a feel for the Thai culture. Try Thai food, learn about religion and the health care system, and buy travel books. The second thing I would recommend is that you fully immerse yourself in your time here and distance yourself from your life in the United States. Although three weeks seems like enough to fully experience what you want, it goes by quick and it would be a shame to waste it wrapped up in things back in the states. Finally, I would recommend that students be open to new experiences. I feel as though I learned so much, because I opened up and tried things that I have never tried before. I am very happy that I chose to embark on this journey, and I know that I will carry the memories I have made here forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment